Some key changes:
- Payments will usually be based on the non-resident parent’s latest tax-year gross income, sourced directly from HM Revenue & Customs (which it is hoped will reduce application times).
- The 'flat-rate' will be increased from £5 to £7, with the Government consulting on whether this should be increased further.
- Addition of a second level within the basic rate for those non-resident parents with weekly income in excess of £800.
- Annual reviews of the maintenance calculation by using updated income information supplied by HMRC.
- Parents who share the care of their children exactly equally will no longer be required to pay maintenance through the statutory scheme, although it is recognised that this will be a small minority of cases.
- Maintenance calculations will take account of a child supported by a non-resident parent outside of the statutory scheme.
- No need to adjust calculations for small changes in income.
The closing date for submissions in respect of the consultation is 23rd February 2012.