London, 21st June 2012: Leading law firm Venal & Grabbit are at the forefront of the fight against climate change, says Senior Partner Edgar Venal.
"Our clients will be pleased to know that we have implemented a range of measures that demonstrate environmental responsibility and will ensure that the planet is safe from global warming." He said.
Those measures include:
Recycling/ Resource Use
- Prohibiting staff from using the drinks vending machine, to reduce the use of disposeable cups
- Limiting the use of the firm's disposeable pens, by requiring staff to use their own
- Taking away waste bins from desks and making staff put their waste in their pockets
- Starting to compost all correspondence received from the SRA
- Recycling old computer equipment by selling it to local charities
- At Christmas, asking people to send us donations rather than cards
- Rationing staff toilet paper (both sides should be used)
- Printing internal documents on the back of used stamps
- Collecting and re-using name badges after events and meetings where possible*
- Minimising energy costs by turning off heating in staff areas
- Requiring the accounts department to use abacuses rather than computers
- Requiring staff to use candles, rather than light bulbs
- Saving time and inconvenience by requiring other solicitors to come to meetings, rather than go to their offices
- Providing staff with high-interest season ticket loans
- Partners sharing their cars with their chauffeurs
When asked whether their divorce clients were really bothered about climate change, Edgar Venal said: "Oh yes, the first thing they ask us is whether our divorce service has a smaller carbon footprint than our competitors."
Law firms' collaboration helping to combat climate change - Law Society Gazette, 21st June 2012. See also here.
*Note: I couldn't possibly parody this one.