Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Family Lore Clinic: Can the CSA send me to prison?

I take it that you are in arrears with your payments of child support maintenance, and are worried that the Child Support Agency will send you to prison.

The answer to your question is that the CSA cannot send you to prison itself, but it can ask a court to do so. Once it has found you liable for unpaid child support, a magistrates' court can commit you to prison for up to six weeks.

There are, however, other types of enforcement action that can be taken, and it is certainly not the case that you will definitely be sent to prison. For further information regarding non-payment, see here.

I would strongly recommend that you take urgent advice from a specialist family lawyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post. Constructive comments are always welcome, even if they do not coincide with my views! Please note, however, that comments will be removed or not published if I consider that:
* They are not relevant to the subject of this post; or
* They are (or are possibly) defamatory; or
* They breach court reporting rules; or
* They contain derogatory, abusive or threatening language; or
* They contain 'spam' advertisements (including links to any commercial websites).
Please also note that I am unable to give advice.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.