Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Family Lore Clinic: Can I apply for a consent order without my ex husband?

Once again, I will asume that the term 'consent order' refers to the order setting out an agreed financial/property settlement on divorce, although my answer will apply equally to any sort of consent order.

The answer is, quite simply, 'no'. A consent order can only be made with the agreement of both parties. If there is no agreement, then a final order can only be made after one of the parties makes a full financial remedies application to the court, and a contested final hearing has taken place.

Of course, the parties may agree a financial/property settlement, but then one of them may refuse to cooperate with the obtaining of a consent order, giving effect to the settlement. In this situation the court may be prepared to uphold the agreement. This can be a complicated area of law, and if you think it applies to you then you should seek the advice of an expert family lawyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post. Constructive comments are always welcome, even if they do not coincide with my views! Please note, however, that comments will be removed or not published if I consider that:
* They are not relevant to the subject of this post; or
* They are (or are possibly) defamatory; or
* They breach court reporting rules; or
* They contain derogatory, abusive or threatening language; or
* They contain 'spam' advertisements (including links to any commercial websites).
Please also note that I am unable to give advice.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.